What parents should start thinking about when it comes to their children’s health :
- Children who are obese have a higher chance of staying obese and developing health problems as adults. Some of those problems are: High blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, breathing problems, abnormal or missed menstrual cycles, bone and joint problems and reduced balance.
- Without parents knowing, kids with weight problems can suffer emotional problems such as: Low self esteem and negative body image and depression.
- The best way to beat obesity is to have all 4 major food groups stocked in the fridge, and most importantly, to exercise daily for at least 60 minutes. That means playing outside or simply being active with family members and friends.
- What you buy at home is what your family will eat, as a parent you must be a role model for healthy eating.
- Limit Tv, video games, fast foods, and time spent on the Computer by having physical activities in the family’s daily routine.
- More than half of Canadian children are not active enough for optimal growth and development.
- Exposing children to many different activities during school can help them grow into healthy, active adults. As long as children are having fun and parents remember not to push them too hard, children can easily become more physically fit